COVID-19 is making it more important than ever to prioritize sanitation. While masks and hand washing are important steps to keeping each other safe, it’s also important to remember to disinfect one of our most used accessories, our mobile devices.
Mobile devices can transmit pathogens if not cleaned and disinfected properly. Research has proven that, even in a hospital environment, over 99% of mobile devices are contaminated with potential pathogens. At Sonim, we’re committed to delivering solutions that support and serve those who serve us — that includes solutions that can be safely sanitized to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Only Sonim’s ultra-rugged mobile devices can be sprayed, submerged, and rigorously cleaned in soap and water or harsh chemicals, like isopropyl alcohol or even bleach, to ensure they are fully disinfected, and no pathogens are transferred.
When comparing smart phones, it’s important to determine whether your phone can simply be wiped down, or if it can be fully disinfected. Over the last few years an increasing number of other mobile device brands have evolved their Ingress Protection rating to IP-68, meaning they are resistant to dust (the “6”) and to water submersion for 30 minutes at a depth of one meter (the “8”). Thus, you might think when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting these devices, it is not a problem to wipe or spray a cleaner directly onto the device. However, the instructions for cleaning that same water-submersible device will say, “only use a damp cloth,” “avoid getting moisture into openings,” and “do not use household cleaners, aerosols, or solvents… as they may damage the device.”
All Sonim devices can be easily disinfected and under-go a rigorous four-step chemical-resistance test that includes:
1) Applying chemical agents such as isopropyl alcohol, bleach and water mix, dishwasher detergent, Benzalkonium Chloride, glass cleaner, acetone, and gasoline directly to the Sonim device.
2) Each chemical outlined above is placed on the Sonim device for up to 24 hours.
3) The device is put into an over set at 50 degrees Celsius for two hours.
4) The device is then inspected for any improper operation or damage.
Beyond our internal testing, many of our customers have successfully subjected their own Sonim devices to several other jaw-dropping experiments that further prove the durability of our devices. Examples include:
- A full immersion of the Sonim XP8 in hydrogen peroxide for one hour with no impact on operation.
- A full immersion of the Sonim XP8 and XP5s in jet fuel, with the goal of seeing how many hours the devices would last. The Sonim devices lasted several days, fully immersed and fully operational while competitive products only made it a few hours.
- Running a Sonim device through a regular dishwasher cycle.
If sanitization and communication are critical in your industry, it’s important to have a device you can count on. Sonim sets the bar for rugged devices, providing your team with ultra-reliable communication tools that serve their job, health, and safety every step of the way.
Contact us today to learn how you can equip your organization with a Sonim device.